Monday 22 February 2010

post.

well,
in one night my brother and I managed to digitize and then edit what was shot on sunday.
adobe premiere was its usual narky self, managing to crash a couple of times,
and the whole "insert clip" thing it just couldn't seem to get its head round, poor dear.

as my brother said, "I might not like it, but I'm good at this.",
and he is. I think it's the technical aspect that works for him. I tend to get baffled with all the functions and timelines and tracks.

It's fairly tight, and smooth, too.
I don't like my performance. I found myself a bit blank and not very emotional. Katy is great, though. she can act physically - she'll add a tut or smack of the lips, fiddle with a wine glass or pick up the empty bottle and look at it mournfully. I think one of the hardest things for film acting, when you're doing dialogue scenes, is what to do with the rest of your body - especially hands and arms. one of the reasons characters were often given cigarettes was as a prop. unfortunately, my hands and arms in this instance were a little camp. ahem. what with being unshaven, a bit rotund, and with some questionable hand/finger gestures, I likened myself to ricky gervais in the office.

One of the first things you really have to learn when making films is that it will never match up to what you had in mind. the mind is the perfect director, cinematographer and actor. i think the trick, in order to avoid discouragement, is to remember the level you are at.


The footage is good, though. It's straight forward, one location, one time; no dissolves, cutaways etc. the only "effect" edit is a freeze frame at the end of the first part. which (again, thank you adobe premiere) is surprisingly hard to pull off.

tomorrow (or, later today) we'll be filming the last couple of shots. using my spare big room as another hotel room (a grotty hotel, obviously), with Katy in different costume, makeup and a black wig. my friend Jacqui is also coming over. we're using her car for the last shots, and given she has straight black hair, like the wig, she is being body double for one of the shots where we see both the characters Katy plays next to each other.

So once they're done, I'll scoot back up to my brothers, capture and edit them in, and we'll have an apprx 6 1/2 minute film done; filmed sunday, edited monday, filmed tuesday, finished editing tuesday night, screened in a couple of weeks.


NEXT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment